S$89. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Top Things Not To Do On A Velodrome | Beginner Track Cycling Tips, Roadie Vs Fixie | GCN's Bicycle Courier Challenge, Vintage Bicycle Parts & Accessories at SoCal Cycle Swap Meet, Long Beach, California. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. (315) 371-3545 offices Didnt buy as they looked dodgy. Trying to understand how to get this basic Fourier Series. How Can You Tell If Shimano Parts are Fake? The major bicycle parts include the seat, the frame, the wheels, and the handlebars. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thebaldtrekker/. I was nave to think that I'd actually get a legitimate chain for the amount of money that I was paying. The other numbers are the wrong font also. studying towards a master's in Mechanical engineering, at Swansea University. No-one is forcing you read other people's posts (or add a EF team are missing one rider in the list CORT. Compare the shape of the clic in-plate. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. If I were competing, I'd use this kind of thing on my trainer bike, but not my race-day bike. Testifying about the crisis, Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb told Congress to "stop saying the border is secure, because the border is . (315) 371-4527 fax. Quite a delayed answer, plus, it is based on my experience with just one fake chain, but still can be useful to somebody. Randonneurring, Bikepacking, Commuting, For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13, https://www.ebay.com/usr/enjoy-fishing9 2749.l2754. But, lined next to a new chain, there is no length difference. 2023 The Abraham House All Rights Reserved. This process makes sure that the glue flows into the hollow section, which is then pressed together using a jig. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Weve noticed youre using an ad blocker. @Armand, there are I think different grades of fake. Plus the the week's top tech news, in: Bikes most popular transport mode on City roads. If a consumer believes to have purchased a counterfeit product, we recommend they contact their local Shimano Service Centre, or Shimano retailer for further assistance.". Fake pala yung RD huhuh naka cross bolt hindi alen, Peke pala nabili kong rd bwusit ahha 170 bili ako newbie kas ako ehh walang alam, Buti di ko nabili yung altus na nasa shopee peke pala yun, 2:12 Yan ang magandang tularan. The seller gave me my money back and didn't ask for a return. The company has also expanded into fishing equipment and golf equipment. Lesson learned for me I guess and thank you for your input :)). Used it only ONCE so condition is like new. Limited availability and supply chain issues have made counterfeit products rife and ever more tempting. @WeiwenNg I don't know how exactly to upload a photo to the comment section but I'll describe it as best I can. Warnings about counterfeit parts are useful, but it would be even more useful to pass on details of how to tell they are counterfeit. What is a word for the arcane equivalent of a monastery? Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. Are the Shimano derailleurs sold on Ali Express genuine or fake? Saan ba boss,,makakabili ng 2ndhand groupset original shimano?anong store? These products were innovative for the time, but they took several years to catch on. All material FarrellyAtkinson (F-At) Limited, Unit 7b Green Park Station BA11JB. Firstly, let'sunderstand what a counterfeit product actually is. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. The dealer manual says it should have this. It has been confirmed as a fake site and Shimano has taken steps to shut it down. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Cookie Notice Likewise, if it were the right chain but didn't pass Quality Control and was rejected because it didn't match the required dimensions, then it could fail quicker, or accelerate wear on other parts. Cycling Revolution is where hundredsof people a month come for accurate, straight-to-the-point answers to all their bike-related questions. I think HG chains are that sort of price from Decathlon anyway? How are you going to do that? In 1989, the company had Y=84 billion in sales. This one has developed a 'Low' writing which is found on some Shimano shifters, but not these. How to react to a students panic attack in an oral exam? There aren't many tell-tale signs, but the shinyvinyl embossing top left is obviously hard to imitate, and is missing off the largest area. The knock-offs use very similar fonts and logos that make it easy for them to be confused for the untrained eye. The revenue from adverts helps to fund our site. Many questions are raised in this thread about whether the Shimano parts you are buying are genuine or not. Sa first part ng series na ito, pumunta tayo sa NeoZigma showroom para maipakita ang mga maliliit na differences ng fake at original Shimano parts. Sheriff Mark Lamb. To our regret, counterfeit Shimano products have been illegally sold at local stores, online flea markets and other online market places in and outside Japan. Use code HELLO54 when you join us as a print or digital member and your membership will be half price for the first year. Sadly, I do not have a trainer bike so I think I'll have a mechanic inspect it so I can probably try to sell it to someone who might want it, and save for a legit chain. Well, my point is with a counterfeit chain, you have no idea what corners are being cut. Rear cassette 'ticking' forward, making chain catch, what is the problem and how do I solve it? We asked what measures it is taking to prevent this: "Shimano recommends that consumers purchase genuine Shimano parts from Authorized Shimano Dealers and Distributors. The fake one has 100km (left). Otherwise, you might end up with a fake product that does not have the same quality as the real thing. Bikes are our hobby for almost 20 years already and weve dedicated a fair amount of hours to research and to solve many problems in this field. rev2023.3.3.43278. I was looking at fake Thomson seatposts the other day for my pub bike. how to spot fake shimano parts. You can normally use chains from other legitimate vendors, be it SRAM or KMC or something else. Lets see how much of a mess I can make of this competition. The store where the chain was purchased from, Amazon, hastily removed the product, but we can't help but wonder how many had been sold before that happened. The bearings were also not that smooth, but not being able to clip in rendered the pedals unusable. This factory is very secretive, but its the home of Shimanos premier component groups. It's been mixed up week here at STW Towers, mostly thanks to everyone suddenly realising they haven't used up their annual leave so they'd better take some time off. Thank you for responding btw :). The new line of hubs has a pretty easy way to tell what you're getting or how to choose the hub you want by looking at the "coding" of the product. They're also often produced illegally and sold at a profit to fund other criminal activities. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. tony bloom starlizard. I think they need to provide more evidence than a few bike manufacturers make ridiculous nth watt saving claims that bike technology is becoming F1 You can have no greater love than to lay down your bike car for your friends. All seemed fine at first even after a couple of miles on a test. We're trying to get a better idea of the scale of this problem. This button displays the currently selected search type. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. How to follow the signal when reading the schematic? This is just one of the (hopefully) several videos that I will put out regarding fake bike parts. Other than the obvious ethical issues,this raises some serious safety concerns. Fantasy Cycling: game [at] road.cc Bottom of the shoe is carbon Size Eu-41 US-7.6 CM-25.8cm. I just bought 2 chains that I fear are fakes. boeing 767 patriot express. On my first ride, maybe the second time I unclipped the cleat felt as though it were made of rubber rather than plastic. Like new. They use innovative technology and original components, resulting in high-quality products. Parts could have originated from some new bike, that was upgraded in the shop with some higher spec parts, and originals got sold this way. To prevent receiving any fake product in Online marketplace, I usually ask clarification from the seller & review the comments before buying it. Thanks po for pointing out the fake from original. It has also introduced new packaging technology to make it difficult to duplicate their products. Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights. The company has 24 locations in 17 countries and a 70 percent market share. Especially when it's components in question Let's play a game of spot the difference. https://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Better-Person. Just wanted to report that in chinese market there's news of fake Shimano Ultegra R8000 pedals being sold. Founded in 1921, Shimano is one of the largest manufacturers of bicycle parts and components. Bicycles Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who build and repair bicycles, people who train cycling, or commute on bicycles. But I've never even heard of fake current generation Shimano 105, Ultegra, or Dura Ace parts being sold anywhere. It look to be a Altus or lower spec component. It's much harder to spot stuff like the wrong metal or plastic, so comparing the fine details with photos of the real item is probably the easiest way to identify a fake and prove it to the vendor so they will refund you. If you like road.cc, but you dont like ads, please consider subscribing to the site to support us directly. Meron din ba kayong video about fake shimano cassette cogs vs orig? The 1 in the gear indicator looks like it was done by a 3 year-old. When you shop for bicycle parts, you might wonder if youre getting the best quality. And it's nearly impossible to tell the difference with the type of inspection practical for a normal cyclist. I've bought several items from sellers in China (PROC), Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc. Is it suspicious or odd to stand by the gate of a GA airport watching the planes? As far as I'm aware Shimano have manufacturing plants in Kunshan, Malaysia and Singapore, it's noted on other forums and the general web that stuff coming out the Malaysian and Singapore plants is a lower quality. jzwinck Additional comment actions They already have started Chinese brands for these things, see Sensah, Zrace, etc. Shimano isaware that counterfeit products are trickling into the market and that it can be tempting to purchase parts from less-than-reputable sources. Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? A series of health requirements prompted the company to reduce the capacity of the facility to 60%. 11 speed chains must be built pretty accurately. They look pretty legit to me. @SEBASSZCHAN you could buy another chain and carry that as a spare. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are tons of 7-speed, Altus, or Tourney parts that are counterfeit. Lesson for me is to be sure of genuine/quality parts before purchasing anything, or money just wasted. But whenever I recommend Ebay as a source of upper tier Shimano road parts on this sub, I always get the finger wagging about how many fake parts are out there. However, remember that only few factories can make them, it is not something a dodgy maker can make in their garage and still make profit. Terms and conditions of use. "It's a daily occurrence now with people buying so many bikes online and getting completely ripped off by fakes," Snell said. Is there such a thing a knockoff Shimano parts? But I'd do my monthly safety check and remember to wipe down the chain, run the wear checking tool on it, and be wary of climbing out of the saddle with a hard effort. Sa first part ng series na ito, pumunta tayo sa NeoZigma showroom para maipakita ang mga maliliit na differences ng fake at original Shimano parts. trying to cling on to his cat 2 licenceand missing every break going in: Campaigners: Remove pedestrian vs cyclist conflict, in: Demi Vollering slowed by horse during Strade Bianche, in: Has cycling become F1? Shozaburo Shimano founded the company in 1921. I've bought a ton of road drivetrain stuff, new and used, through Ebay over the years. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. When Covid-19 reared its ugly head it brought with it supply chain issues and limited availability. When not writing abouttech news or working on the Youtube channel,you can still find him racing local. Cassettes are often included in complete Shimano groups. If it's a chain that follows the required specs, it'll be perfectly usable. I will try to measure this. Jamie has been riding bikes since a tender age but really caught the bug forracing and reviewingwhilststudying towards a master's in Mechanical engineeringat Swansea University. How To Spot Fake Shimano Bike Parts? The company was founded in 1921. Do you have any reason to believe that the issues mentioned are indicative of counterfeit rather than poor quality control? It's great that we got to see a side-by-side comparison of the legit and fake chains. When you keep surfing on this site you agree with the cookie usage. I bought 2 sets of 'genuine Shimano blue SH12 cleats from a private seller on ebay this week. I've seen many Shimano parts (shifters and derailleurs my case) for almost half the cost in Aliexpress than many of the retailers. How can I explain to my manager that a project he wishes to undertake cannot be performed by the team? Today, Shimano is a multi-billion-dollar corporation, but it began in a small machine shop. As a subscriber you can read road.cc ad-free, from as little as 1.99. The lack of packaging isn't necessarily suspicious. Shimanos largest bicycle plant is located in Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan. Can you use a SRAM 10-speed Powerlock with a Shimano chain/drivetrain? Recovering from a blunder I made while emailing a professor, Linear Algebra - Linear transformation question, Norm of an integral operator involving linear and exponential terms. In 1999, the company launched MicroShift, an innovative gear shifting system. The topic Beware Fake Shimano Chains on eBay is closed to new replies. This allows users to scan a product and see whether it is a genuine, authorised product. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. While most Shimano parts are manufactured in Japan, they are often sub-contracted outside of the country. Follow Up: struct sockaddr storage initialization by network format-string, How to handle a hobby that makes income in US. Shimanos production facility produces most of the parts used in its Dura Ace group, XT, and SLX groupsets. >Shimano steps up efforts to beat counterfeiters, >29 of the best cycling apps for iPhone and Android. In this article we'll focus specifically on counterfeit products rather than 'fake' ones (unbranded copies), and if you want to buy the latterthen that's your own prerogative;however, somethingpretending to be something that it isn't isa different kettle of fish entirely. We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Reason why I want to sell is because I find that clip pedals are not suitable for me. The Mega 9 branding is also missing from the clamp band, The plastic mark is also missing from the rear of the lever, I found a different fake of this on AliExpress. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Only you can inspect it, measure it and try it. I see this as a near zero-risk transaction given Ebay's protection policies. I bough HG901 XTR/Dura Ace chain and came . To minimise the chances of this happening, brands such as Shimano invest huge amounts of money in product testing, quality control and manufacturing to ensure that components such as chainsexitingtheir facilities are up to scratch. Just a heads up, apologies if been done before, but there's a few sellers of fake Shimano chains on eBay currently. Why are Suriname, Belize, and Guinea-Bissau classified as "Small Island Developing States"? at altus na kulay itim? These parts are 1.6mm thick, with tolerances of three micrometers. Note the Chinese label on the box, when they are supposed to be made in Malaysia. The second image is the comparison of chain length. So, is this a real thing, or are these just paranoid boomers or children worried about this? (New annually renewing membership only. 2008present unless otherwise stated. It visually shows the same thing you see when putting a worn chain next to a new one. The company was founded in 1921 by Shozaburo Shimano. Repair parts from Shimano - What are these part for? The Print+ membership where Singletrack magazine drops through your door, plus full digital access, is normally 45, now only 22.50 with the code. @JamesK Good point, but its getting away from the purpose of comments, and might be better for, The chain in the video isn't my chain btw, it's an unboxing video of a legit chain of the same model. Humming Bird Classical Golf Tournament (Utica), Humming Bird Classic Golf Tournament (Rome), Humming Bird Classical Golf Tournament (Rome). The Glentress Masterplan sets out redevelopment proposals that includes new trails, improved facilities, and some new accommodation options in the area. If it were me, I'd examine the item closely, using calipers or a micrometer and comparing it to the old chain. I hate it. bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/64791/, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. For more information, please see our by cable attachment screw), had off-center borings and some non-standard-looking bolts. I confronted the seller and they never confessed it was fake, but they gave me 50% refund. planning to buy po e, ouch napakasaklap its my first time to buy a bike and after I watched this video its very disappointing kc napatunayan ko na fake yung alivio na nabili ko for upgrading sana ng rear derailleur ko. Ive reported it to eBay but the listings are still there. a low quality one that's been passed off as a Shimano chain, then I would be worried about material quality. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Although the company still has factories in Japan and Malaysia, they have recently moved production to China. It shows new chains at zero. may mga m4120 po bang fakes? When it came it was pretty obvious immediately the chain was fake, one of the clues was it didn't have greese on it. It looks like your's say Indonesia on them, it's entirely possible that they're genuine Shimano but the QC isn't as good hence the markings and bumps. The price was the same with the original so ansakit na makita sa video na fake and nabili ko, Sir tanong lang po, yung groupset ko po kc na alivio m4000 series( FD-M4000-TS6, FC-M4050, CS-HG400-9, ST-M4050-R, ST-M4050-l, RD-M4000, ) nabili ko noon pang 2017. may c-clip po kc yung rd gaya nung sa fake. @DavidW there is a similar question here: How to identify counterfeit Shimano parts? What Is the Difference Between 'Man' And 'Son of Man' in Num 23:19? Recently counterfeit products of Shimano Cleat Sets are found to be sold at such market places, which are difficult to be distingushed from Shimano's genuine products by appearance. thank you for this.. Many people, us included, were left searching far and wide for certain products and components, but when they arrived they weren't always what they said they were. (Screenshot, CSPAN) (CNSNews.com) -- In just one area of Arizona, not even on the border with Mexico, fentanyl pill seizures have gone up 610% in two years and human trafficking has risen 377%. In this image they are aligned with the first link towards the top of the image and we are looking at about 100 links down. As long as people buy fakes.